wow, busy busy February…. from our trip to the tip of Qatar called Al Gahiya on the Al Shamal (North Road), it took us about 2 hours to get there that is with stops along the way. Not much to see, lots of sand and dunes and rocks. The sea at Al Gahiya is very very blue, but mainly from the limestone in it. It is very smelly, and not s sea that you would want to swim in. But very very pretty!!

Week 2 of Feb was spent exploring the Zekreet area. We went through Zekreet town, with a total of about 10 houses, on to the movie set that has been built for the crews to do desert type movies, and a “kraal” like donga area with round stone huts, all looked rather eerie. On our travels we passed by hikers (who we thought were all mad to even contemplate hiking the desert), but then we saw mountain bikers and then realised that they were really really mad 🙂 it was so hot we actually felt really sorry for them….
We did find a lovely spot on the beach, with a wind barrier of rocks as the wind was pumping (back to thinking about the mad mountain bikers) and laid back with Steve, Ella and Morgan to chill out a bit. In the heat we decided to go snorkeling, only to find that the sea was so shallow that even 200m out we were still knee deep. Hilarious to say the least…..

Otherwise, we had Jess showing off her Taekwando skills at assembly at school… she was really cool and loved the attention.
And Sean taking part in the Terry Fox Walk for cancer with the Boy scouts, I have added the link as the story is a very special one , in short …

Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and raised in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, a community near Vancouver on Canada’s west coast. An active teenager involved in many sports, Terry was only 18 years old when he was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (bone cancer) and forced to have his right leg amputated 15 centimetres (six inches) above the knee in 1977.

While in hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients, many of them young children, that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research.

He would call his journey the Marathon of Hope.

It was a journey that Canadians never forgot.
After 18 months and running over 5,000 kilometres (3,107 miles) to prepare, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980 with little fanfare. Although it was difficult to garner attention in the beginning, enthusiasm soon grew, and the money collected along his route began to mount. He ran 42 kilometres (26 miles) a day through Canada’s Atlantic provinces, Quebec and Ontario. However, on September 1st, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire nation was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at the age 22.

Now all over the world they hold the Terry Fox Run of Hope to raise money for cancer research, a very worthy cause!

…. very eventful month indeed …..